July 24, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Who Makes the best chicken wing in Niagara? Chicken Wing Festival returns to Lakeside park
- CATHARINES, ON: Chicken wing lovers are being asked to once again elect a wing king in the second annual St. Catharines Chicken Wing Festival. The family-friendly event features six local businesses selling wings and squaring off to be selected as best by popular vote. The two-day event will also feature local bands, craft and domestic beer, a kids’ zone featuring Niagara Inflatables & Games, a chicken wing eating contest and, new this year, a ping pong tournament! The event, which returns to Lakeside Park, raises money for Community Care of St. Catharines & Thorold.
“We had 6,500 amazing attendees in our first year, which let us know this was an event people were enthusiastic to see return,” says Jeff McGuffin, Chair of the Wing Fest Board. “On another note, we know Lakeside Park has had a tough season and to be able to return the community to this special spot is important to us. Being able to support a vital community organization like Community Care is the cherry on top.”
The Official Wing Fest Championship Belt has resided at Kully’s Sports Bar on St. Paul Street since last August. Kully’s returns to defend, with five other establishments returning this year, aiming to overtake Kully’s as a new champion. This year’s list of competitors:
- Kully’s Original Sports Bar (2016 Champion)
- Cat’s Caboose
- Redline BBQ Catering
- Roberto’s Pizza Passion (2016 Co-”Hottest Wing”)
- Romby’s Smokehouse & Tavern
- Wrigley’s Sports Bar & Lounge (2016 Co-”Hottest Wing”)
“I attended last year’s event and it was a wonderful and delicious event.” says Betty-Lou Souter, CEO of Community Care of St. Catharines & Thorold. “I’m sure this year’s event will be another success and we’re thrilled that the organizing committee of local young professionals is using the opportunity to support the programs and services of Community Care.”
2nd St. Catharines Chicken Wing Festival
Saturday, August 12: 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Sunday, August 13, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Lakeside Park, Port Dalhousie
Contact: Allie Hughes